Privacy terms modified on March 18, 2015
What Information Do We Collect About You and Why?
Account Information: When you download and use our mobile app, we may assign you a username, but we do not collect your name or email address. We also collect the following information:
Geolocation Data: We ask you to share your location information from your mobile device. If you choose not to, the Services will not function. Location information is used to place you in your local Koovy group, and as explained below.
Your Content and Usage: We collect the content you submit to the Services (posts), as well as information about when you submitted the content, when it was viewed, and other activities.
Information We Collect Automatically: We may automatically collect the following information about your use Services: access time, device ID, application ID or other unique identifier; domain name, IP address, screen views; geo-location data (with your permission); language information; device name and model; operating system information; your activities within the Services; and the length of time that you are logged in. We may combine this information with other information that we have collected about you.
Use of Information
- We may use information about you for various purposes, including to:
- Provide, deliver, maintain, test and improve our Service;
- Send you technical notices, updates, confirmations, security alerts and support and administrative messages;
- Respond to your comments, questions and requests and provide customer service;
- Communicate with you about products, services, offers, promotions, rewards and events offered by Koovy and others, and provide news and information we think will be of interest to you;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with our Service and improve and personalize the Service;
- Detect, investigate and prevent any suspected breaches of our Terms of Service; and
- Link or combine with information we get from others to help understand your needs and provide you with better service; and
Provide a thorough and complete experience on Koovy
Shelf life of information
Nothing you type on Koovy is shown for more than 24 hours on the app. People will only be able to see your messages inside a certain nearby radius of the location you posted your message from, and only for 24 hours.
After 24 hours, people will not be able to access your message, unless they take a screenshot.
Sharing of Information
- With other users of the Service by providing them with your Posts and Messages and your general location (if you have enabled us to collect your location).
- We may also share information (which may at times include personal information) about you as follows:
- With vendors, consultants and other service providers who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of Koovy assets, financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company;
- In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with any applicable law, regulation or legal process, or as otherwise required by any applicable law, rule or regulation;
- If the content of a Post can reasonably be considered illegal or unlawful (or we have a good faith or belief that the Post is being used to engage in, encourage or promote such activities), in which case we may share your information with proper authorities;
- If we believe that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate in order to protect the rights, property and safety of Koovy, our users and/or others; and
With your consent or at your direction, including if we notify you through our Service that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such information.
We may send push notifications or alerts to your device. You can deactivate these messages at any time by changing the notification settings on your device or by changing your Koovy settings.
Third Party Analytics
We may use automated devices and applications, included those offered by third parties to evaluate usage of our Services. We also may use other analytic means to evaluate our Services. We use these tools to help us improve our Services, performance and user experiences. We do not share your personal information with these third parties.
Third Party Ads
We may display ads to you (including in-app ads), and we may target those ads based on your location, your Koovy activities, and other criteria (e.g., the time of day).
Our Services may contain links to third-party websites. Any access to and use of such linked websites is not governed by this Policy, but instead is governed by the privacy policies of those third party websites.
You must be at least 17 to use our Services. Our Services are not designed for children under 13. If we discover that a child under 13 has provided us with personal information, we will delete such information from our systems.
If you have questions about the privacy aspects of our Services or would like to make a complaint, please contact us at [email@example.com].
Changes to this Policy
This Policy is current as of the Effective Date set forth above. We may change this Policy from time to time, so please be sure to check back periodically. We will post any changes to this Policy on our Site, at [http://www.koovy.co/privacy]. If we make any changes to this Policy that materially affect our practices with regard to the personal information we have previously collected from you, we will endeavor to provide you with notice in advance of such change by highlighting the change on our Site, or providing notice in our mobile app.
These guidelines are for law enforcement officials seeking information about Koovy user accounts. When Koovy receives a request for user account information from a government agency investigating criminal activity, the Koovy team reviews each request to be sure that it satisfies all legal requirements. Koovy is committed to cooperating with law enforcement while respecting each individual’s right to privacy.
What is Koovy?
Koovy is an anonymous messaging app that allows users to create and view posts. Koovy is available as a free mobile app for Android, iPhones and in the web browser.
What Account Information Does Koovy Have?
Messages posted on Koovy are public, so anyone can see them. Koovy is an anonymous service – users do not register or create account names – and Koovy does not ask its users to provide their real names, mailing addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, or any other identifying information. Koovy does maintain a log, however, of the following information for each message posted:
- The IP address from which the message was posted;
- The GPS coordinates of the location from which the message was posted;
- The time and date when the message was posted.
- Data Retention and Preservation Requests
Koovy retains different types of information for different time periods. Due to the real-time nature of Koovy, some information may be stored for only a very brief period of time.
Koovy will share data with law enforcement if and when it receives a valid preservation request. Preservation requests must be submitted in writing, on official law enforcement letterhead, and signed by the requesting official. Please include screenshots of the messages that you wish to be preserved, if available. Requests may be sent as an email attachment (our contact information is below).
Legal Process Requirements
Koovy discloses user account information only in accordance with applicable law.
Koovy will only release non-public information about its users to law enforcement officials, and only in response to appropriate legal process, such as a subpoena, court order, or search warrant – or in response to a valid emergency request, as described below. Under the law,
A valid administrative trial subpoena in connection with an official criminal investigation or prosecution is required to compel Koovy to disclose certain specific types of “basic subscriber information”
However, because Koovy is an anonymous service – there is no registration process for Koovy users – Koovy’s records of “basic subscriber information,” if any, are likely to be very limited.
A court order issued under the Indian law is required to compel Koovy to disclose certain non-content records associated with a user’s account. This could include the time and date when a message was posted and the IP address associated with the message.
A search warrant is required to compel Koovy to disclose the contents of any messages associated with a user’s account. In addition, Koovy requires a search warrant for a user’s GPS location information.
Koovy may disclose user account information to law enforcement – without a subpoena, court order, or search warrant – in response to a valid emergency when we believe that doing so is necessary to prevent death or serious physical harm to someone (for instance, in cases involving kidnapping, bomb threats, school shootings, or suicide threats). Koovy evaluates emergency requests on a case-by-case basis.
Any information Koovy provides in response to emergency requests is limited to what we believe would prevent the harm. This may include a user’s IP address, GPS coordinates, message timestamps, and/or the contents of other messages from the user’s posting history.
Law enforcement officers can submit an emergency request as an email attachment (our contact information is below). Emergency requests must be submitted on law enforcement letterhead, and must include the following:
- a detailed description of the emergency;
- a description of the harm to be prevented;
- a detailed description of the Koovy post that you are seeking information about, including screenshots, if available;
- the specific information requested, including an explanation of why that information is necessary to prevent the harm;
- an explanation of why the information is needed without waiting for legal process;
- and the signature of the submitting law enforcement officer.
Please note that Koovy cannot review or respond to emergency requests sent by non-law enforcement officials. If you are aware of an emergency situation, you should immediately contact your local law enforcement officials.
Will Koovy Notify Users About Law Enforcement Requests?
Koovy does not have email addresses or other contact information for its users. Therefore, Koovy is unable to notify the user when it receives a request from law enforcement seeking account information.
Law enforcement officials may submit requests by mail or email to:
2/570, Jagannathan street,
Balaiah garden, Madipakkam
Chennai - 600091
Please Note: firstname.lastname@example.org is for law enforcement officials ONLY! Users wishing to have a post removed should email email@example.com.
Receipt of correspondence by any of these means is for convenience only and does not waive any objections, including the lack of jurisdiction or proper service. Koovy will not respond to requests for user information sent by non-law enforcement officials.